Niles Township High School District 219
POSITION TITLE: Building Principal
REPORTS TO: Superintendent and/or Superintendent Designee
SUPERVISES: Assistant Principal for Operations, Assistant Principal for Student Services, Athletic Director, Curriculum Directors, Director of Activities, Executive Secretary to the Principal, and non-certified staff assigned to the Principal.
To facilitate development, implementation and evolution of curricular, instructional and personnel functions of the building, in order to continually improve student performance.
- Illinois Public Educator License, General Administrative Endorsement and Teacher and Principal Evaluator Designation, required
- Master’s degree
- Three years secondary administrative and supervisory experience
- Three years secondary teaching experience
- Ability to communicate and interact effectively with a variety of audiences
- Ability to lead all phases of instructional programs
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions
- Ability to interpret, analyze and use data
- Ability to access and utilize technology to maximize other skills and performance
Directs and Leads On-Going School Improvement
- Heads building level school improvement team
- Works with staff to develop policy recommendations for the board’s consideration and action
- Develops and evaluates school programs
- Works with Building School Improvement Committee to investigate concerns, assess needs and evaluate educational program output
- Establishes and maintains an effective learning climate in the school
- Confers with staff, students and community members on school problems and needs
- Works with district office on long-range planning
Acts as Liaison to the Community
- Interprets school program to community members
- Maintains relations with parents, parent groups, school volunteers and outside agencies
- Serves as information liaison between the school building and the community at large
- Represents the school system at professional meetings and conferences
- Speaks at public meetings on issues of general or specific pertinence to the school’s programs
- Assigns personnel
- Calls and chairs meetings of directors
- Evaluates personnel
- Supervises staff members
- Observes the in-class performance of teachers and confers and consults with them regarding their professional development
- Evaluates performance of directors and confers with them regarding their professional development
Makes Decisions and Resolves Problems and Conflicts
- Bases decisions on data
- Consults with the appropriate personnel before making a decision
- Considers a variety of alternatives before making a decision
- Uses interpersonal skill to help students, parents and staff members to resolve their differences
Participates in Professional Growth Activities
- Keeps current on changes and development in the profession by attending professional meetings, reading professional journals and other publications.
Manages Executive and Fiscal Functions
- Prepares and submits the school’s budget and monitors expenditure of funds
- Serves as a member of such committees and attends such meetings as directed by the superintendent
- Reviews budget requests and program proposals
- Proposes to the district office which activities will be funded during the coming year
- Interprets and enforces district policies
Coordinate Building Personnel Functions
- Assists in the recruiting, screening, hiring, assigning and evaluating the school’s professional staff
- Evaluates directors using goals and the district’s approved document
- Makes recommendations for hiring, retention, dismissal and tenure of probationary teachers
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The employee is required to regularly interact with the students, staff and the public.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: 260 days, with comprehensive benefits package.
PERFORMANCE EVALUATION: Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the District procedures on administrative evaluation.
Apply on-line at: www.niles-hs.k12.il.us
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans With Disabilities Act (A.D.A.) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
Niles Township High School District 219 is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy and practice of District 219 to decide all matters relating to employment solely on the basis of the applicant’s ability to perform the essential functions of the position.
District 219 ensures equal employment opportunities regardless of race, creed, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, or handicap. The District has a policy of active recruitment of qualified minority teachers and non-certified employees. Any individual needing assistance in making application for opening should contact the Assistant Superintendent for Human Resources.
How to apply for this job?
- Register for an account on the HYA website. Or, login to the HYA website if you already have an account created. Click the Login/Register button at the top of the page to get started.
- After logging in, click the Apply Now button at the top of this page.
- You will be redirected to the Frontline Education website. This website is where you will submit your application. This website also will require its own unique login and password.