SUMMARY OF THE POSITION:
Under the supervision of the Superintendent, this position directs and assumes a key leadership
role for the school district. This position directs the design, planning, development, and
implementation of special education and related services, psychological, social work, and
counseling programs, health services, and Section 504, to further the goals of the school district.
This leadership position is designed to improve the quality of assessment, curriculum, and
instructional services, and maintain compliance with special education programs and services
delivered by the school district. The incumbent in this position will serve as a member of the
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• Master’s degree required.
• Eligible for a license issued by the Virginia Department of Education with an endorsement in
Administration & Supervision required.
• Minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible and successful service in district-wide
student services leadership required.
• Prior experience as a school-based administrator strongly desired.
• Track record of improving academic outcomes for students and eliminating disparities in
achievement, opportunities and services for all students.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• Knowledge of general and special education curriculum, instructional best practices, and special
• Ability to provide program oversight of PK-12 programs for students in all areas of
• Ability to make critical evaluations or suggestions for improving curriculum,
programming in academic, social, emotional, health, and career planning.
• Ability to coordinate, collaborate with, and oversee staff in the development and implementation
of all requirements related to special education, evaluation and assessment, intervention
practices, curriculum, articulation and direction of skills and content of specialized programs,
counseling, health, and other related services for the division.
• Ability to make critical assessments or suggestions for training, implementation, and improvement
• Ability to work collaboratively with others, including, but not limited to the Department of
Learning and Organizational Development, Chief Academic Officers, the Department of Financial
Services, and the Department of Human Resources.
• Ability to align program initiatives with school district strategies as well as the mission,
vision, core values, and beliefs of the district.
• Ability to demonstrate effective oral and written communication skills, with a thorough knowledge
of English grammar and usage.
• Ability to develop and implement programs/initiatives in all area of student services to include
health and counseling services.
• Ability to synthesize the philosophy of the school district and the needs of the individual
• Ability to create and maintain a budget for the department.
• Ability to demonstrate effective management and leadership skills.
• Ability to schedule events and evaluate personnel.
SALARY RANGE: Regionally Competitive Salary Up to $148,876 (commensurate with experience).
START DATE: As soon as possible
APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Interested and qualified candidates can apply for this opportunity by
using our on-line application at: https://munisselfservice.staffordschools.net/MSS/.
Benefits and other information can be found at: https://www.staffordschools.net/Page/13856.
You may also contact the Department of Human Resources at 540-658-6560