HYA is assisting the Cedar Rapids, Iowa, Community School District Board as it seeks an individual who has demonstrated successful leadership in keeping with the Board Approved Profile of Desired Characteristics* in a similar school district. The District has more than 16,000 students housed in 31 facilities, led and supported by a staff of 3,200. It is expected that a regionally competitive compensation package will be offered.
Art Sathoff, a retired Iowa Superintendent in Iowa, is serving as Interim Superintendent. The Superintendent, Noreen Bush, passed away, after a valiant struggle with cancer. Superintendent Bush was a beloved, dynamic leader both as Deputy Superintendent and Superintendent over the past several years. The new superintendent will begin on July1, 2023.
Profile of the Desired Characteristics of the Superintendent
Superintendent of Schools
Cedar Rapids Community School District, Iowa
After receiving input from administrators, community members, faculty, parents, students, and support staff, the Cedar Rapids Community School District Board seeks an experienced leader, who has had successful experience in a diverse school district, demonstrating a track record of relationship building and student achievement to be its next superintendent.
The Board seeks someone who is an effective communicator and visionary who listens carefully while collaboratively developing and implementing with the Board a vision and then articulating and advocating for that vision for the school district, locally, regionally and on a state level. In addition, the selected candidate will be a visible and approachable member of the community and the District, who is present in schools and community using exemplary people and problem solving skills, building teams, especially in the development of a team relationship with the Board.
The next superintendent of CRCSD will work collaboratively with the staff and community as an advocate that reflects a student focus. The Board of the Cedar Rapids Community School District is looking for a decisive person, who will live and become involved in the community, leading in diversity and equity especially as they relate to human resources and student achievement, and committing to stay with the district for a significant tenure.
Further, the Cedar Rapids Community School District seeks a Superintendent who has record of demonstrating the following competencies …
- Foster a positive, professional climate of mutual trust and respect among faculty, staff, and administrators
- Recruit, employ, and retain effective personnel throughout the District and its schools
- Provide transparent communication
- Be visible throughout the District and actively engaged in community life
- Understand and be sensitive to the needs of a diverse student population
- Provide a clear compelling vision for the future.
- Establish a culture of high expectations for all students and personnel
Approved by Cedar Rapids Community School District Board on November 21, 2022
How to apply for this job?
- Register for an account on the HYA website. Or, login to the HYA website if you already have an account created. Click the Login/Register button at the top of the page to get started.
- After logging in, click the Apply Now button at the top of this page.
- You will be redirected to the Frontline Education website. This website is where you will submit your application. This website also will require its own unique login and password.