The Newton Public School District is seeking a strong, visionary, and accomplished leader skilled at managing large, diverse, and complex organizations to serve as successor Superintendent of Schools beginning on or before July 1, 2023.
The City of Newton is located seven miles west of downtown Boston. With a population of approximately 89,000, the City is the 12th largest in Massachusetts. Known as the “The Garden City,” Newton is principally suburban-residential in character, with open space comprising 19.6% of the City’s total land area. In September 2018, Newton was ranked #1 in Massachusetts as the best place to live and #12 in the United States. Newton, comprised of thirteen distinctive villages, is a desirable community in which to live and work. It has an excellent public school system; safe and attractive neighborhoods; an active community life; multiple transportation systems; proximity to Boston; and a well-managed City government.
The Newton Public School district serves approximately 12,000 students enrolled in one pre-school, 15 elementary schools, 4 middle schools, 2 high schools, and a post-graduate program for 18-22 year old students. A culturally and racially diverse school community, the district is considered one of the top school districts in the state with high levels of student performance that consistently exceed state averages on every standardized measure.
The Newton Public Schools has identified the following educational goals, designed to ensure that every single students’ school experience is characterized by challenge, joy, belonging and engagement:
- Academic Excellence – Cultivate a culture of excellence for all through powerful, responsive and sustaining learning experiences that lead students to be productive, thriving citizens in the world.
- Educational Equity – Narrow opportunity and achievement gaps by increasing equitable and universal opportunities for all students, irrespective of race, ethnicity, gender, socioeconomic status or disability to access education and to achieve in alignment with the NPS Statement of Values and Commitment to Racial Equity.
- Social Emotional Wellbeing – Enhance student learning, engagement and wellbeing by addressing the whole child with culturally responsive mental health services and supports for all learners.
The School Committee members are looking for a mission-driven, values-led individual with exceptional communication skills and a strong record as an instructional leader. The next leader of the Newton Public Schools must be a staunch and unrelenting advocate for every student in the district.
Specific desired leadership characteristics and qualifications are expected to be available and posted on or around December 6, 2022. Candidates must possess the proper certification or be immediately eligible to obtain the same. A multi-year contract will be offered with a salary in the range of $300,000 per annum, subject to negotiation based on qualifications and experience. All interested candidates should apply through the link on this website. Applications will be received through January 13, 2023.
How to apply for this job?
- Register for an account on the HYA website. Or, login to the HYA website if you already have an account created. Click the Login/Register button at the top of the page to get started.
- After logging in, click the Apply Now button at the top of this page.
- You will be redirected to the Frontline Education website. This website is where you will submit your application. This website also will require its own unique login and password.