Yonkers Public Schools, New York State’s 4th largest school district, is seeking a dynamic Superintendent of Schools experienced in urban education.
Located along 4.5 miles of the Hudson River, Yonkers is a vibrant urban and suburban community, the largest city in Westchester County and serves as the gateway between New York City and the Hudson Valley. Yonkers Public Schools has a diverse student population of more than 25,000 students in grades prekindergarten through 12 with families from over 100 cultures and nationalities. It is one of the largest employers in Westchester County with over 3,900 full-time employees and an operating budget of over $700 million.
The Yonkers Board of Education is seeking candidates with exceptional credentials and a proven track record of visionary and aspirational leadership in an urban school district. The successful candidate must be prepared to build upon the strong progress made by the District. The candidate should demonstrate the ability to provide cutting-edge leadership and strategies that promote student achievement aligned to the District’s action driven Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) belief system, with a focus on the following goals:
- Enhancing student achievement
- Providing opportunities for professional development
- Creating a data-driven, accountable culture
- Encouraging stakeholder involvement and engagement
- Prioritizing fiscally responsible budgeting
The successful candidate must have requisite skills to develop and communicate a vision of quality equity driven education for the future to the Board of Education, staff, and community, with successful experience in the selection and implementation of educational priorities consistent with the interests and needs of students, staff, the Board of Education, and the community.
Reports To: The Board of Education
Duties and Responsibilities:
As the chief executive officer, the Superintendent is responsible for implementing the policies of the Board of Education and administering the School District. The Superintendent suggests policies necessary for the effective functioning of the District to implement state and federal regulations and rules as well as procedures to support established policies.
- has the authority to organize, reorganize, and arrange the administrative and supervisory staff, including instruction and business affairs, subject to the approval of the Board of Education;
- is responsible for the placement and transfer of personnel as well as hiring, termination and tenure, subject to the approval of the Board of Education;
- is a visible presence in the schools to emphasize the importance of classroom interactions;
- provides the Board of Education with the information, analysis and professional advice needed to formulate policy and monitor District operations; and
- creates and sustains a climate of collegiality among staff and parents.
$295,000 – $340,000 negotiable
A highly competitive benefits package will be offered.
How to apply for this job?
- Register for an account on the HYA website. Or, login to the HYA website if you already have an account created. Click the Login/Register button at the top of the page to get started.
- After logging in, click the Apply Now button at the top of this page.
- You will be redirected to the Frontline Education website. This website is where you will submit your application. This website also will require its own unique login and password.