JOB TITLE: CHIEF SCHOOL BUSINESS OFFICIAL
LOCATION: District Office
CHARACTERISTICS: Administrator, twelve-month contract
REPORTS TO: Superintendent
SUPERVISES: All certified and classified employees
EVALUATION: Evaluated annually by the Superintendent
OVERVIEW OF THE POSITION
In conjunction with the Superintendent of Schools, the CSBO provides both operational and programmatic support to the organization. Responsibilities include providing leadership, organization and planning for all business and financially related affairs of the District. The CSBO is the chief financial spokesperson for the organization and advises the Board of Education and Superintendent on all strategic and tactical matters as they relate to the District’s finances.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Supervises daily financial administration of the District.
- Prepares and presents the annual budget and supporting documentation to the Superintendent and Board of Education.
- Prepares and presents the annual tax levies and supporting documentation.
- Supervises the annual audit process. Oversees the coordination and activities of independent auditors ensuring all audit issues are resolved and all 403(b) compliance issues are met.
- Oversees the District transportation services, food service, bookkeeping staff, operations, purchasing, payroll, and maintenance (building and grounds).
- Develops and maintains systems of internal controls to safeguard the financial assets of the District, and ensures adequate cash flow to meet the District’s needs.
- Plans, develops and implements financial procedures and processes in alignment with the District Strategic Plan and goals of the School Board.
- Oversees short-term investments on tax receipts.
- Ensures that generally accepted accounting principles are applied consistently throughout the District.
- Prepares and presents long-term financial analysis to the Superintendent and School Board.
- Supervises the completion of all state and federal financial reports.
- Works with the District’s Bon counsel to manage long-term debt and bond rating.
- Collaborates with other governmental bodies on issues that financially impact the District.
Facilitates the completion of an annual performance audit of the Business Office,
- Transportation and Food Services, and makes recommendations for improvements to the Superintendent.
- Provides the Superintendent and School Board with updates and/or recommendations regarding performance on initiatives, projects and processes.
- Serves as District representative during all contractual negotiations.
- Chairs and/or serves on District committees as assigned by the Superintendent.
- Works in collaboration with the District Cabinet to administer the annual staffing plan and anticipate the short- and long-term staffing needs of the District.
- Assists in the development of the School Board agenda; attends regularly scheduled Board meetings.
- Communicates and supports Board actions to staff, students, and public.
- Investigates cost-effective benefit plans, which the District may offer to employees and potential employees with the goal of attracting and retaining the best-qualified individuals.
- Complete mandatory District compliance training as required.
ADDITIONAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Performs other duties as directed by the Superintendent.
OCCUPATIONAL CERTIFICATES/LICENSES/ QUALIFICATIONS
- Valid Illinois Administrative certificate; CSBO Certification or willingness to complete.
- Background in Accounting, Finance or Business; successful CSBO school experience preferred.
- Master’s Degree required; doctorate preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively; experienced presenter.
- Ability to facilitate short- and long-term financial planning.
- Prefer knowledge of Not-for-profit accounting in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Ability to effectively lead and be responsive to the needs of all District stakeholders.
- Clearance of FBI Background check required; Successful completion of Faith’s Law/EHR requirements.
- TB test within 90 days of hire date; Physical Exam within last year of hire date.
- Valid First Aid/CPR Cards preferred.
Moderate degree of physical stamina with occasional lifting of 10 to 15 pounds and occasional lifting up to 50 pounds required in the physical assistance of students with special needs. Ability to move freely to various locations within the classroom, office and other community settings. Frequent standing, walking, sitting, and bending. Frequent repetitive activities including hands, arms, and legs for clerical related work. Exposure to noise and activity of a school setting. Exposure to outdoor weather conditions
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
Salary and fringe benefits will begin at $180,000+ (dependent upon years of experience) and reviewed annually by the School Board.
How to apply for this job?
- Register for an account on the HYA website. Or, login to the HYA website if you already have an account created. Click the Login/Register button at the top of the page to get started.
- After logging in, click the Apply Now button at the top of this page.
- You will be redirected to the Frontline Education website. This website is where you will submit your application. This website also will require its own unique login and password.