The Proviso Township High School District is seeking a highly accomplished, energetic leader to be the district’s next superintendent. The district has 3 High Schools and serves almost 4,300 students just west of the City of Chicago, in the communities of Broadview, Forest Park, Maywood, Bellwood, Berkeley, Hillside, Northlake, Stone Park, Westchester, and Melrose Park. The diverse ethnicities, cultures, and socio-economic backgrounds of District 209 students create rich educational and cultural experiences for the entire school community.
The successful candidate needs to have a proven track record as a culturally responsive and successful leader in a system of public education; must be an effective communicator (preferably in English and Spanish); preferably has experience working with second language learners; and can demonstrate proven, tangible success in improving student achievement and ensuring equitable opportunities for all students. This is a unique district, with profile status. It is not uncommon for Chicago professional athletic team members and teammates to come back to their home school to help students.
There are three (3) select public high schools in District 209, serving students from ten local communities.
Proviso East is in Maywood and was founded in 1910. The school serves 1,535 students from Broadview, Forest Park, Maywood, and Melrose Park.
Proviso West is in Hillside and was founded in 1958. The school serves 1,763 students from Bellwood, Berkeley, Broadview, Hillside, Northlake, Stone Park, and Westchester.
Proviso Mathematics and Science Academy is in Forest Park. It was founded in 2005 as a select enrollment academy, accepting students from all 10 communities in the Proviso footprint. PMSA is a National Blue Ribbon School and is one of three selective enrollment schools in District 209. PMSA has been consistently ranked among the top 10 public high schools in the state of Illinois by U.S. News and World Report. 924 students attend PMSA.
Strengths and Opportunities
Pending: HYA is currently gathering input from students, staff, families and community members regarding strengths and challenges/opportunities facing the district as well as the most important leadership qualities and characteristics desired in the next superintendent. This input will be used to develop a Leadership Profile Report that will be used by the Board in making screening and selection decisions.
Minimum Qualifications and Expectations
- Illinois Superintendent Endorsement (or willing to acquire within 1 year)
- Prior 9-12 administrative experience, preferably at the district level
- Experience working in diverse school communities
- Visionary, strategic leadership with an unwavering commitment to excellence
- Exceptional communication and relationship-building skills
- Budget management competence, including controlling costs.
- Personnel leadership skills, including the ability to motivate and inspire, solve problems, mediate conflicts, manage organizational change, and provide constructive feedback while promoting a respectful work environment.
- Master’s Degree in Administration, Leadership
- District-level administrative experience in grades 9-12
- Partnering with community members and local organizations in support of public education
- District experience with operations, including financial services, transportation, food services
- Experience working closely with an elected Board of Education
Compensation and Benefits
A regionally competitive salary range, based on experience and education, with an excellent benefit package.
Please submit via electronic mail with a subject heading: PTHSD 209
- Cover letter stating why you are seeking this position and why you will be an excellent fit for the district
- Full resume
- Full contact information of three references, who can be immediately contacted
- Maximum of two pages (12-point, double-spaced) written response to, “Your success in serving students who are English Language Learners and their families”.
Submit applications by February 10, 2024 to all three search Associates:
Dr. Constance Collins email@example.com
Dr. Ken Arndt firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr. Frank Henderson email@example.com