The South Orange-Maplewood School District seeks an exceptional educational leader to join a
collaborative team of passionate educators dedicated to intellectual growth, character
development, and well-being for all. Shape the future of our diverse, high-performing district
(90% graduation rate, Columbia HS ranked 45th in NJ) by spearheading the development and
implementation of a long-range strategic plan that champions equity and excellence. Make a
lasting impact in a supportive environment where your vision and leadership will empower both
students and educators to reach their full potential.
A multi-year contract will be offered with a salary in the range of $240,000 per annum based on
actual qualifications, experience, and negotiations. All interested candidates should apply
through the link on this website. Applications will be received through March 20, 2024.
NOTE: Specific desired leadership characteristics and detailed qualifications will be available on
or around March 1, 2024.
About the District
The South Orange-Maplewood School District is a regional public school district, serving
students in pre-kindergarten through twelfth grade from the suburban communities of South
Orange and Maplewood, two municipalities in Essex County, in the U.S. state of New Jersey.
We are a vibrant community that celebrates the unique backgrounds and experiences of our
students. As of the 2022–23 school year, the district, comprised of 11 schools, had an
enrollment of 6819 students and Classroom Teachers (FTE): 576.1 classroom teachers (on an
FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 11.4. Columbia High School ranks 45th in New Jersey
and boasts a 90% graduation rate, with nearly 70% of students taking AP classes.
- Proven Executive: Multi-year success in high-level educational leadership roles within comparably complex organizations. NJ School Administrator/Certificate of Eligibility required.
- Strategic Visionary: Develops and implements a comprehensive long-range plan aligned with district goals and community values.
- Collaborative Leader: Builds trust and fosters open communication across students, staff, parents, and the community.
- Equity Champion: Possesses a deep understanding of systemic inequities and implements impactful strategies to advance diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Exceptional Communicator: Connects effectively with diverse audiences, inspiring and motivating stakeholders to embrace change and strive for excellence.
Visit our website for detailed application instructions and submit your application online by March 20, 2024. We look forward to hearing from you!