Oxford Community School District, Oxford, MI
The Oxford Community School District is seeking a superintendent beginning on July 1, 2024, with a base salary range expected to be $215,500 – $230,500; other benefits to be negotiated (based on qualifications and experience).
Oxford is one of the most charming and picturesque towns in Michigan. Nestled in the northern part of Oakland County, Oxford offers a unique blend of small-town charm with modern amenities and is located 45 miles north of Detroit. One of the highlights of Oxford is its historic downtown area. The village is filled with quaint shops, restaurants, and cafes and hosts several fun events throughout the year. For outdoor enthusiasts, Oxford has several beautiful parks and nature trails. One of the most popular is the Polly Ann Trail, which offers scenic views of the surrounding area. There are also several lakes in the area, which provide ample opportunities for swimming, fishing, and nature watching.
The Oxford Community School District encompasses approximately 77.868 square miles and serves over 7000 students, (4,580 seated students and 2,554 virtual students; enrollment does not include shared time students) in pre-kindergarten through 12th grade. The District operates 11 schools with an operating budget of $103 million and has approximately 855 employees. The District is committed to creating lifelong inquirers who are caring contributing members of a global society. Believing that every student is unique, Oxford Community Schools offers diverse opportunities in academics, athletics and the arts. Oxford Community Schools has a true passion for education and sets high expectations for both staff and students.
As Oxford Community Schools maintains a critical focus on education and achievement, we also acknowledge that mental health and wellness are innately connected to students’ success in the classroom and to a thriving school environment. Oxford Community Schools will benefit from educational leaders who embrace the ongoing process of becoming trauma-informed as an essential component of the overall mission of the education system. A trauma-informed school recognizes that trauma affects staff, students, families, communities, and systems. Therefore, our district continues to prioritize organizational support, partnerships, and capacity-building as essential aspects of recovery and Oxford’s educational future.
Points of Pride Oxford Community School District:
- Oxford Community Schools is a K-12 IB Authorized World School District, offering the IB Diploma program. The International Baccalaureate aims to develop inquiring, knowledgeable, and caring young people who help to create a better and more peaceful world through intercultural understanding and respect.
- Prioritization of student well-being through increased mental health supports including increased staff and programming such as Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS), Restorative Practices, Social Emotional lessons and Bully Prevention. Oxford Community Schools has a Family School Liaison (FSL) team that is made up of social workers and behavioral support staff. There is at least one FSL in each building.
- Oxford Community Schools has worked diligently to develop a Portrait of a Graduate that defines our expectations for all of our students as a result of their educational experience with us. https://www.oxfordschools.org/district/strategic_process_/portrait_of_a_graduate
- Oxford Community Schools has a well-established multi-tiered system of support that is supported by our MTSS coordinator; especially at the elementary level. We are working hard to develop and improve systems at the secondary level.
- Michigan Blue Ribbon Exemplary Schools.
- Oxford is creating a model global learning environment in which every student will be fluent in another world language and its culture/customs (Spanish) by 8th grade. We are the only school in Michigan with an 11-year required foreign language program for grades PreK-10 for ALL students.
- State of Michigan Green and Emerald Green Schools.
- MASB Education Excellence Awards, Michigan’s Best Awards, and School Board Standard Excellence Awards.
- Oxford Early Learning Center offering preschool, Great Start Readiness Program (GSRP), infant/toddler childcare, and before/after school care is rated by the Michigan Department of Education as providing top-rated programming for preschool children and extended day for our youngest Wildcats.
- Grades 6-12 choir, orchestra, band, and theater programs.
- Ten different state-approved Career and Technical Education programs, including four CTE Early College programs and a dual enrollment partnership with Lawrence Technological School.
- Oxford Virtual Academy offers personalized educational solutions outside of the traditional brick-and-mortar classroom for more than a decade.
- A vast Community Learning program that links our local businesses to experiential learning opportunities.
- Oxford Dance Conservatory prepares students for a future in college and professional dance.
- Oxford allows opportunities for international students to attend Oxford High School, enriching the educational experience for both domestic and foreign students alike.
- Oxford Schools Early College program allows high school students both seated and virtual to earn transferable college credits with the potential of earning up to an associate’s degree upon graduation.
- Oxford Athletic Department offers nearly every Michigan High School Athletic Association sanctioned program, totaling 31 different sports including bowling, hockey, lacrosse and ski team; club sports are also offered such as powerlifting and equestrian.
- Countless national, award-winning, after-school organizations and clubs.
- Advanced degree plus administrative certification (eligibility) required
- Central Office and/or building administrative experience required
- Previous superintendent experience preferred
- Candidate must agree to receive trauma-informed training
- K-12 classroom teaching experience preferred
Visit the Oxford Community School District website for more information: OCS District Website
PLEASE INCLUDE IN YOUR FRONTLINE APPLICATION:
- Cover letter (stating interest and unique qualifications for the position) – be sure to save the name of the district in the document title
- Full resume/vitae
- Three current letters of recommendation
- Copy of Superintendent license (regardless of state) or evidence of eligibility for Superintendent license
- Contact information of three additional references different than the reference letters
Search Timeline – All Application Materials Due By: March 1, 2024
- Feb. 27, 2024 HYA to present the Leadership Profile Report to the Board
- March 4, 2024 HYA to present the slate of candidates to the Board
- March 11-12, 2024 Board first-round interviews
- Week of March 18, 2024 Finalists Day in the District
- April 2, 2024 Board conducts final interviews
- April 23, 2024 Superintendent’s hiring approved/announced
- July 1, 2024 Superintendent contract formally begins
For questions regarding the Oxford Public Schools Superintendent search contact:
Mike Richie, Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates Email: email@example.com
Sarena Shivers, Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Scott Winch, Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates Email: email@example.com